Thursday, December 22, 2005

Dinner at MFM

Dinner yesterday was a celebration of sorts. I had just received my results for the semester in the morning and I was pretty satisfied with them.

After 3 years in NUS, I've finally completed my collection by obtaining a grade that has been eluding me all this while. So I dragged by buddy Angel out to dinner at the Manhattan Fish Market (MFM) at PS.

Arriving at PS, most of the food outlets were packed and there were long queues outside. MFM was no different and we got in line to wait for a table.

It wasn't long before a space was available and we were led to a table that was next to a giant screen showing images of marine life and divers. Hmm... seems like a good spot for 2 diving enthusiasts.

The first thing that struck me about the place was the efficiency and cheeriness of its staff. A group of 3 had just left their table and within seconds, 3 staff members descended on the table and cleared it in about 30 seconds flat!

The bright and cheery smile of a particular waiter was also amazing. This guy didn't just smile at you. He gave us the biggest ear to ear grin and he just seemed really happy to be working there. Talk about good service huh.

We (more like I) were pretty interested to try out their Flaming Platter. So we ordered a Flaming Platter for 2 to share. Its basically a platter of deep fried seafood consisting of calamari (my fav), prawns, oysters and fish. Together with a bed of rice and chips.

The waiter actually carries a "flame thrower" (blow torch like device) with him when he brings the platter to the table. He then flames the cream on the prawns to give it a little burnt appearance.

I guess its more for the novelty of the experience, cos I personally didn't think the flaming actually did much to enhance the taste. But it was definitely something that was pretty fascinating for a little while.

I'm not much of a food critic, and I have very simple criteria when judging food. First and foremost, quantity for money is a major deciding factor. This doesn't mean that the cheaper the better though. As long as I feel that I'm getting my money's worth in terms of serving size, I'm a happy diner.

Based on this criteria, MFM's Flaming Platter definitely sores well. The serving was really generous and more than adequate for 2 "pigs" like us. Quality wise, I guess it's pretty good, but I decline to comment more on this cos I think my tastebuds aren't exactly top of the line.

Anyway, we spent most of the meal drooling over not the food but the amazing video of marine life that was being shown on the big screen. It was a showcase of all the really cool dive spots and the sights from below the waves. Must go diving soon!! May 2006!!

All in all, dinner cost $35 after a 15% discount for UOB card members. Still haven't paid Angel yet. (LOL... Dun hang pig's head ah!!) Pretty alrite I would say for a place like that. Would definitely want to go back there again sometime!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home