Thursday, October 27, 2005

Teochew and Chinese

This is gonna be a follow up on my earlier post on "Dialect Neglect". In that post, I said that I would try to practise my Teochew as much as possible.

Today at the supermarket, I was presented with a wonderful opportunity to sharpen my skills. I saw this Auntie who was at the checkout counter. She knows me and I will say hello and chat a bit when she's handling my purchases.

Usually she would speak in a mix of English and Chinese, but today she started off with "Ah Boy, khui orh buay?" (Ah Boy, school started already?). I replied with "Ah Buay. Khia jit meng ke orh tng"(Not yet. Today don't need to go to school).

Interesting thing was the reaction of this old man who was standing in front of me. He turned back and flashed me a grin. I guess he was surprised to hear this little punk speak Teochew. And pretty fluently too. (Ok, maybe I give myself too much credit...)

Anyway after a short chat with the cashier Auntie, I went along on my way with my groceries. Happy to have gotten the stuff that I needed as well as a chance to brush up on Teochew.

In a not-so-related incident, the Western food uncle in school asked me if I knew Chinese yesterday.

I was about to order something when he said "I've only got chicken chop left". I asked him something (can't rem what) in Chinese and he seemed pretty surprised. "Oh you understand Chinese?!" I wanted to go "Duh!", but stopped myself in time. Never piss off anyone who handles your food. For obvious reasons!

Anyway, it was pretty amusing that people think I don't understand Chinese. Simple Chinese at least. Is my linguistic "banananess" (refer to "Dialect Neglect") so deep set that its starting to manifest itself physically? Or do I simply look un-Chinese? Must be the tan...

Anyway dou khung leow... ai khe chway jia (Anyway hungry leow... wanna go look for food) Seeya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home