Saturday, February 18, 2006

Programming Blues

Before you continue reading, be forewarned, the following post contains graphic descriptions and strong language.

Parental guidance is not necessary, but if you're a kid go read another post.




Ok, now that I've covered my backside, let the cursing begin.


(@!#*&(@@!( )@)!@_))@!#(@# bloody
@!(@#)!@($@(# freaking ()(!@
***@@* FUC**ng()@@! SystemC.... *@(!*@
#)@@!@**!)@$)_($@!)(#*@!)(#*@!(

I just spent the better half of an afternoon trying to figure out why the hell my code was not working properly.

I had copied a file onto my laptop from the UNIX server. I then opened it and edited it with a text editor that was more advanced than your average Notepad.

After saving it, I uploaded it back up onto the UNIX server. That was when the problems began. I kept getting errors that even the people who designed the compiler could not identify.

Well, they told me this with a f*c*ing informative error message of "generic error, error code unknown" or some screwed up shit like that.

Anyway, my attempt to email them led me on a merry-go-round of registrations.

"You need a license." "Go get a license from your server." "Give me your email." "We love wasting your time!!" were just some of the bloody messages that I encountered in my attempt to seek an explanation to what the F was wrong.

In the end, the solution came out of the blue. E Hunt was telling me that when you open a file with text editors other than Notepad, it adds in an extra character.

ENLIGHTENMENT!! By opening the stupid file with the more advanced text editor, I had introduced an extra character that prevented things from running properly.

True enough, after copying the file over from E Hunt's account, everything worked!! Dammit!!! One fu*(@#ing character. And it wasted half a day...

Anyway, having solved the problem, things could proceed and I managed to get some work done. Finally...

I guess I shall end off this post with a picture. To the piece of code that caused me so much agony. I have this to say.

4 Comments:

Blogger huckerby said...

err... if you had asked me, the first advice i'd have given you is to check for extra characters due to a cut and paste done.

happens to me all the time!

Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:44:00 am  
Blogger Vorlacks said...

haha

well at least now i know!!

gah...

Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noe nut abt codes...like de last part of ur blog (de picture)..haha...

Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:17:00 am  
Blogger Vorlacks said...

LOL... that photo ah... erm maybe i should mosaic it a bit

Thursday, February 23, 2006 2:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home