Friday, November 04, 2005

Satisfaction and the Storm

It's now 4 am and I've just been woken up by thunder outside my window. After closing the windows, I tried to get back to sleep but somehow couldn't. So I decided to watch the storm for a while.

The wind was so strong that the trees were swaying left and right like they were about to fall over. There was lightning and thunder accompanying the rain that seemed to fall with such ferocity that I'm sure anyone would be soaked in under 10 seconds.

As I watched, I couldn't help but feel a sense of security and thankfulness. I felt secure that I was behind the protection of the windows and under the shelter of a roof. That I was able to watch the storm assault the landscape outside, washing everything with rain; whilst I remained bone dry. I was also thankful that I didn't need to be out there battling the elements and having to try and find shelter from the storm.

This led me to think about the people who actually have to battle this storm. People without a roof over their head to keep them safe at night. People who at this moment are being drenched to the skin by the rain and chilled to the bone when the wind blows.

I compared what we were experiencing at this same moment in time and I must say I'm grateful for what I have. This brought to mind a conversation I just had earlier this evening with my bro, Justin. We were talking about satisfaction in life.

I'll not be discussing what we talked about here, but I just want to say that I'm pretty much satisfied with my life at the moment. Well its not that I wouldn't like more out of it, who wouldn't? But just that I think I should be more thankful for my haves than have-nots.

I'll just be glad that I don't have to be out in that storm now trying to find some way to prevent the rain from drenching me further. Or to find the right angle to position my body so that the wind will not cut so deeply. I'll just be satisfied that I'm watching the effects of the storm rather than feeling it.

And now I think I should go back and try to fall asleep. Or maybe I'll just watch the storm a little more...

3 Comments:

Blogger Vorlacks said...

got... didn't u hear the meows and barkings? from all the cats and dogs that were raining down?

Saturday, November 05, 2005 12:52:00 am  
Blogger huckerby said...

eh, discuss with me too leh! haha :P

nice entry. you're not just full of s**t after all. (y)

Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:33:00 pm  
Blogger Vorlacks said...

haha sure bro. over the next dinner lah.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 2:56:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home